The Station Badge
|The station badge was authorised by HM Queen Elizabeth
II in April 1953, and was presented in June 1953.
It depicts three tilting spears in front of a white rose. The white rose symbolises the station's central location in Yorkshire, and the three tilting spears, as used in medieval tournaments, are to symbolise the skill required in modern aerial battles.
As can be seen, the station's motto is "with speed to the mark", which can equally be applied to its latter role of pilot training as the air defence role the station fulfilled when the badge was first presented.
© Crown Copyright